Tuesday, July 22, 2008

Oatmeal Whole Wheat Bread

I have been making our bread for the last month or so. And I've been looking for good bread machine recipes. I haven't tried this yet, but will later this week. Here is my standard wheat bread recipe. (Can't remember where I found this recipe, so I don't know who to give credit to.)

If this tempts your tummy, head on over for Tempt My Tummy Tuesday at Blessed with Grace.


Oatmeal Whole Wheat Bread


Add the ingredients as they are printed into the bread machine pan.


1 cup old-fashioned oats
1 1/2 cups water (add more if dough is too dry in 1 tbs increments)
3 TBS butter
1/3 cup honey
2 TSP salt
1 1/2 cups white bread flour
1 1/2 cups whole wheat flour
2 1/2 TSP active dry yeast



Place all the ingredients in the pan, using the least amount of liquid and adding more if needed, as seen below. Select Medium Crust and press start.


Observe the dough as it kneads. After 5 to 10 minutes, if it appears dry or stiff, or if the machine sounds like it's straining to knead it, add more liquid 1 TBS at a time until dough forms a smooth, soft, pliable ball that is slightly tacky to the touch.


After the baking cycle ends, remove bread from pan, place on cooling rack, and allow to cool 1 hour before slicing.

3 comments:

Tara @ Feels Like Home said...

Sounds good! I've never ventured to make my own bread, but I've been wanting to.

Deanna said...

I have been trying to make bread too. Sometimes it turns out... sometimes not. Fortunately for me my boys are honest and good guinea pigs!

Lisa@BlessedwithGrace said...

Wow, make your own bread. I am so impressed. Maybe I won't be so intimidated if I use your recipe. Thanks for joining us for Tempt My Tummy Tuesday. That was great. Please come back next week!!