Yes, I have a wonderful crockpot Mac N Cheese recipe. But sometimes I need a little comfort food, just like Mom would make. Mom's recipe is more of a method; I don't think she really measures quantities for this. I've done my best to guess measurements!
Click here for more Tempt My Tummy Tuesday posts!
Mom's Homemade Mac n Cheese
3 cups macaroni
2 Tbs butter
2 Tbs flour
salt and pepper
2 cups milk
2 cups shredded cheese (I usually use 1 c cubed Velveeta and 1 c shredded cheddar)
1. Cook macaroni according to package directions.
2. When you drop the macaroni to cook, it's time to start the cheese sauce so that the two are done approximately the same time.
3. Melt butter in small saucepan over medium heat. Do not allow butter to brown. Stir in flour until it forms a paste. Cook and stir for one minute. (You've just made a "roux.") (you can use a whisk of some sort for this.)
4. Add milk to saucepan, stir to remove lumps, increase heat to medium high heat. Add salt and pepper to taste.
5. Stir often (almost continuously, but not quite) until sauce begins to thicken. Add cheese and continue stirring until all the cheese has melted.
6. Hopefully by this point, your macaroni is cooked. Drain macaroni and return to pot. Pour cheese sauce over macaroni and stir gently to combine.
There you have it - Mom's Homemade Mac n Cheese!