Tuesday, August 24, 2010

My New Favorite Way to Make Chicken

Food on the Table calls this "Country Chicken." I call this my New Favorite. Very flavorful way to cook bone-in chicken that falls off the bones.

I did make a few changes. First, I halved the recipe because, even though it says 4 servings, four pounds of chicken is a lot and to me is more than four servings. Second, I used seasoning salt instead of the salt and pepper. Personal preference.

I served this over biscuits, but you could also serve it over rice or noodles.


Country Chicken

1/4 cup butter
2 lbs cut up chicken, with skin and bones
1-2 tsp seasoning salt
2 cups chicken broth or stock (I had turkey stock in the freezer so I used that)
1 cup water
1 cube chicken bouillon
8 oz sour cream

1. Melt butter in a large pot over medium high heat. Season the chicken pieces, then place in the pot. Cook until skin is browned, turning as necessary.

2. Add chicken broth and water. Bring to a boil and add chicken bouillon cube. Stir until dissolved. Cover and simmer over low heat for 35-45 minutes until chicken is fall-off-the-bone tender.

3. Remove chicken pieces from pot and set. Stir sour cream into the broth. Serve chicken and broth over biscuits, rice or noodles.


This makes a lot of broth, so the nutritionals will be less if you don't use up all the sauce. Also, we don't eat the chicken skin so the fat grams will increase if you do.
Nutritional info:
Calories - 214
Fat - 14 g
Carbs - 2.2 g
Protein - 20 g

No comments: