Sunday, November 25, 2007
Crock Pot Lasagna
1 lb ground beef or ground turkey
1 large onion, finely diced
2 garlic cloves, minced (or 2 tsp pre-purchased garlic)
1 lb jar tomato spaghetti sauce - choose your favorite flavor
12 oz no boil lasagna noodles
1lb mozzarella cheese - grated/shredded
1lb ricotta cheese
2 oz parmesan cheese - grated/shredded
¼ cup milk
1 egg - lightly beaten
1 tsp oregano
salt and pepper
1. Fry the beef, onion and garlic in a frying pan, using a tiny amount of oil.
2. Fry until slightly browned. And pour off any excess oil. Add tomato sauce and heat through.
3. Meanwhile, gently combine the ricotta, milk and egg.
4. Then mix in the mozzarella and parmesan. Retaining about 1 tbls of parmesan for later.
5. Now we are ready to construct it in the crock pot. We found there was no need to grease the pot, but if you must - do it now.
6. Using a large serving spoon or ladle, place about ¼ of the meat mixture in the crock pot - spread evenly.
7. Top this with a layer of lasagna noodles, cut to size.
8. Top this with 1/3 of the cheese sauce.
9. Repeat steps 6, 7 and 8 once more. You should now have cheese sauce on top.
10. Now repeat step 6, then 7 and 6 again.
11. Top with remaining cheese sauce.
12. Sprinkle the retained parmesan on top.
13. Cook on low for 4-6 hours.
Serves 4-6 While not critical the layers should be - meat, pasta, cheese, meat, pasta, cheese, meat, pasta, meat, cheese.