Friday, June 4, 2010

Homemade Hot Dog/Hamburger Buns


I love baking bread. The bread machine makes it easier, of course. But I love the variety of breads that I can make with it. My latest variation was to make our hot dog buns!

Ladybug had her 3rd birthday on Monday and I wanted to make as much of our food from scratch. The menu was meatball subs, crockpot mac-n-cheese, fresh corn on the cob, a veggie tray, and homemade strawberry frozen yogurt and homemade cake. It was a feast of Ladybug's favorite food.

With the bread machine, the most difficult part of making homemade buns was rolling them out. Mine were rustic looking (sorry, forgot to take a pic!) but everyone raved about them. That made all the extra work worth it!

Because this was my first attempt at making homemade buns and it was for such an important occasion, I didn't want to tweak the recipe too much. I did use granulated sugar, but will try honey next time.

This recipe makes 8 hot dog buns, or 10-12 hamburger buns, depending on how big your buns need to be. I made 3 batches for Ladybug's party.


Homemade Hot Dog/Hamburger Buns

1 1/3 cups warm water
2 Tbsp powdered milk
2 Tbsp shortening (I used olive oil)
2 1/2 to 3 Tbsp sugar (I have to use the full 3 Tbsp when the humidity is high)
2 tsp salt
4 cups flour (I used white whole wheat flour, but you can use 2 cups all purpose flour & 2 cups whole wheat flour)
2 1/2 tsp bread machine yeast (or 1 packet)

Fill the bread pan of your bread machine according to manufacturer's instructions. Set on dough setting.

When dough finishes its first rise, remove from pan, turn out on a floured work surface and knead a few times. Divide dough into 8 sections for hot dog buns or 10-12 sections for hamburger buns. Shape into long narrow shapes or circular rounds. Place on baking sheet and set in a warm place to rise for 30 minutes. (I set the oven to "warm" then turned it off before placing the dough in there to rise.)

After 30 minutes, preheat oven to 375 degrees and bake buns for 15-18 minutes or until golden brown.


These turned out great! I'm so glad I took the time to make them for Ladybug's party. This post fearlessly submitted to Fearless Friday at Home Ec 101.

1 comment:

Lisa Johnston said...

OH awesome! Thank you! Can you substitute honey for the sugar?