Saturday, September 12, 2009

The Best Biscuits Ever

This recipe is a combination of several good recipes that I have tweaked. The result? Seriously, the best biscuits ever! Well, except for Susie's biscuits in South Charleston, West Virginia. If you have had those, you know that they can never be topped. (Except with egg, cheese, bacon, or maybe steak.)

Another great biscuit recipe that I don't dare tweak because it's also pretty darn good is this buttermilk biscuit recipe from Christy at Southern Plate.


The Best Biscuits Ever

3 cups flour
4 tsp. baking powder
1 T. sugar
1 tsp. salt
3/4 tsp cream of tartar
3/4 cup cold butter
1 cup cold milk (a little more or less, as needed)

Preheat oven to 450 degrees.

Combine dry ingredients in a medium bowl. Cut butter into flour mixture using a pastry blender or by criss-crossing two knives. Mixture will be crumbly.

Add milk and mix until just combined. Add more milk by the tablespoon as needed until your dough is slightly sticky.

Next, you can either roll out the biscuit dough or drop dough onto a baking sheet. I don't like rolling out dough, so I usually do drop biscuits.

Bake for approximately 15 minutes until golden brown. (I forgot to time them last time, so if this is different, I'll update this post next time I make them.) (And I'll try to remember to take a picture next time too!)

Makes 11-12 biscuits, depending on size.

1 comment:

Melissa said...

I am going to have to try these biscuits. They sound delicious!

Btw, Thanks for stopping by my blog. I was beginning to wonder if any of my old blogging friends remembered me! :)