Tuesday, November 17, 2009

My Pizza Dough


I have been meaning to post my recipe for pizza dough for the longest time. We usually have a weekly pizza night; for the fall and football season, it is Sunday night.

I started with a standard dough recipe and have tweaked it for our tastes. And of course, I'm using my trusty bread machine!

A few notes: yes, it really does need the baking powder. It is much too chewy without it. Also, we found that the ratio of 3:1 bread flour to whole wheat flour is just right for us. I add the ground flax meal for added nutrition, but you can certainly leave that out if you want.

For more recipes and kitchen ideas, visit Tempt My Tummy Tuesday.


My Pizza Dough

1 1/3 cup warm water
2 tsp sugar
1 tsp salt
2 Tbsp olive oil
3 cups bread flour
1 cup whole wheat flour
1 tsp baking powder
1/4 tsp garlic powder
1/4 tsp onion powder
2 Tbsp ground flax meal
1 1/2 tsp yeast

Directions:
Add all ingredients to your bread machine pan in the order recommended by the manufacturer. Choose the dough setting.

After the dough has finished rising in the machine, remove from pan and knead 4-6 turns on a lightly floured surface. Roll out with a rolling pin. Transfer to baking stone and finish preparing your pizza as desired*. Bake in a 450 degree preheated oven for 15 minutes.

*Here's how I finish our pizza. After transferring the dough to the baking stone, I rub a little bit of olive oil over the entire dough then spread my pizza sauce. Because I use regular spaghetti sauce, I doctor it up a bit by sprinkling Italian seasoning and either minced garlic or garlic powder over the sauce. Then top with cheese, other toppings, and a little more Italian seasoning.

3 comments:

Jeni said...

What kind of bread machine do you have? I used to have one, but it was OLD (made in '93, maybe?) and didn't work well. I'd like to get another one, but I know Hubs will be resistant since the first one didn't work well.

Unknown said...

GREAT!!! recipe. I like the idea of flax meal in this recipe and the garlic and onion powder.
Geri

Jerri at Simply Sweet Home said...

I have to admit, I've never had homemade pizza dough. Sounds wonderful!